We collect non-personally identifying information that your browser makes available when you visit a website. The information we store does not identify you personally. We automatically collect and store only the following information about your visit:
- The Internet domain and IP address from which you access our website. For example, if you access our website from school, we see "schoolname.edu" and the school's IP address;
- The type of browser and operating system used to access our site;
- The date and time you access our site;
- The pages you visit; and
- If you linked to the Site from another website, the address of that website.
Additionally, we ask users to provide basic information when creating a project for the Adaptation Workbook. This information includes the approximate location of the property, the acreage of the property, and the general ownership type (federal, tribal, state, private, etc.). NIACS collects this information to get an accurate profile of the Site's users. NIACS will consolidate this information to share general usage statistics for the Site with our partners and funders, but this information will be aggregated for all the Site's users. NIACS may also collect information that users enter about climate change impacts, adaptation actions, and more. This information will be used to help improve our understanding of how Workbook users are considering climate change and adaptation. This information will also be aggregated among the Sites's users and will not be reported individually. We will not share information about individual users or properties without consent.
Use of Information
We may use information about you, the user, for various purposes, including to:
- Provide, maintain and improve the Site;
- Provide and deliver the products and information you request;
- Send you technical notices, updates, security alerts, and support and administrative messages;
- Respond to your comments, questions and requests, and provide customer service;
- Communicate with you, the user about products, events, and provide other news and information about NIACS and our select partners;
- Monitor and analyze trends, usage, and activities in connection with the Site;
- Personalize and improve the Site, including by providing content and/or features that match interests and preferences of the user, or by otherwise customizing your experience on the Site;
- Link or combine with information we receive from others to help understand user needs and provide better service to the user community at large; and
- Carry out any other purpose for which the information was collected.
NIACS is based in the United States and the information we collect is governed by U.S. law. By accessing or using the Site or otherwise providing information to us, consent is given to the processing and transfer of information in and to the U.S. and other countries.
Communication and collaboration are integral features of this website. If a user chooses to contact us with personal information, as in an e-mail, or by filling out a form and submitting it to us through our website, we may use that information to respond to the message. We may share the information given to us with another professional entity if the inquiry relates to that entity and can help us respond to the message.
Content uploaded by users will be kept confidential unless NIACS acquires explicit consent to share this content. This applies to content regarding property details, forest management goals, climate change risks and opportunities, adaptation strategies, and any other content entered by the user during their interaction with this Site.
Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA)
COPPA applies to the online collection of personal information from children under age 13. NIACS complies with COPPA and does not knowingly collect personal information about children.